Monday, August 19, 2013

Day 4: Drilling A Well

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Eighty percent of preventable illness in Uganda originate from contaminated water. Streams in the villages are often polluted by grazing livestock, which was the case in the village we were scheduled to help today.  Before locating a new well site, we visited the existing draw point: plenty of hoofprints and a conspicuous gray hue to the water. We joined volunteers and staff from Aid Africa (www.aidafrica.net) in setting up a drill stand, complete with pulley and a rope for human power.  Our women got right in there with the men, getting muddy as they guided the heavy metal bore down the well shaft.  Aid Africa informed us that the next day, after further drilling, fresh water was found!

"One Good Thing":

Melissa -  Walking down a trail into the village instead of driving up to it. And the singing and high-pitched celebratory screeching that greeted us when we arrived.  

Brinlee - Seeing the looks on the faces of the women and girls when I carried the jerrycan of water on my head.

Kiera - Getting muddy working to drill the well.  

Becca - Having a mom strap her baby onto my back and carrying her around most of the aftenoon.  

Stacey - When I was sitting next to a woman in the village who did not speak any English, and then I turned away and felt the woman rub her finger along my foot and then look at me and smile.  

Suzy - Throwing mud onto Jess and then having a mud fight with her  

Leah 2 - Talking to the English teacher in the village and asking him all my questions about women and Achioli culture.  

Jen - Getting my sandal stuck in the mud in front of the entire village and having a man help me get it out and then help me wash my feet and sandal.  

Shantell - The litle 4 year-old-gir, Prissy, who held onto me for a really long time and didn't let go.  

Holda - Talking to Morris and Boniface about their stories from high school, including participating in a riot to protest the lack of food. And, eating fresh okra that I had purchased at the market.  

Jess - Seeing all the kids run behind the pick-up truck as we drove out of the village.  

Sophie - Playing soccer with the girls at St. Monica's  

Ali -  Dancing at the club.

Leah 1 - Talking to 22-year-old Rodney at the club and hearing his stories about the past and about his hopes and plans for the  future.

No comments:

Post a Comment